Wednesday

Vienna and the Sachertorte






Yesterday four of us travelled to magnificent Vienna, a city obscene in its splendor. Palace after palace revealed themselves around every corner. Monolithic gothic cathedrals and golden churches popped up at the end of every medieval cobblestone road. It was a little bit ridiculous, yet breathtaking. We just wandered around, following a Lonely Planet walking tour. Vienna, Austria, a home to Mozart among others, is just an hour train ride from Bratislava.

The last thing to do before setting back would be to sample the world's most famous cake, the Sachertorte. I knew Bonnie would be very happy if I did so.




The famous cake was delicious. It was an adult cake to be sure, not overly sweet. Yum.

3 Comments:

Blogger singne said...

I could see on the map that Bratislava is very close to Vienna and hoped you would have a chance to go there. My friend Eva lives there now (she comes from Graz) - can you imagine seeing all that splendor on a daily basis?
(Noble of you to eat the sachertorte for Bonnie's sake!)

5/8/09  
Blogger revaren said...

ha, yes. It was a chore.

Yes, I was imagining waking up in that city each day. It would be a very different existence I think.

5/8/09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my...I am a bit envious...but glad that you were up to the task--big guy...any other pastry
tastings?
with you in chocolate,
Bonnie

5/8/09  

Post a Comment

<< Home